Monday 10 November 2014

The One in the Middle

I've been a little quiet lately, but I had good reason. I have been writing and editing the second volume in my steampunk trilogy of books: Iron City Uprising. Today, I hit the publish button and let my work fly off on it's own for the first time. My own little bird, leaving the nest for the first time.

It's a little scary, a little intimidating, but there is only so many times I can reread the work, only so many changes I can make to 'improve' the writing, before it become a compulsion. Eventually, I had to take the plunge. And today was that day.

It is great to have it out there, in a finishes state, ready to be devoured by anyone with an interest. But it is intimidating too. I have no idea if anyone will buy it, and if they do, whether they will actually enjoy it. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; hitting the publish button is hard. And scary. Mostly scary.

Don't misunderstand, it's exciting too. There's always a chance, however slim, that the book will take off for some reason; go viral like that video about the cute cat. And the excitement lies in waiting to find out which way it will go. Am I going to wake up the next day with hundreds of purchases? Or, more likely, will I wake up to the fact that nobody has even looked at the book, never mind bought it? I have no idea which way it will go.

But in the end, it doesn't matter. I enjoyed writing it. I enjoyed following my characters on their sometimes emotional, sometimes dangerous adventures. And I enjoyed finding out where they would end up. It was as much of a surprise the second time around as it was for the third.

So book two is done. One more to go, and I'll have a full set.

Wish me luck!

If you are interested in reading the book (and I sincerely hope you are), you can find it at the link on the right. In fact, you can find links to both the first and second volumes there, both with brand new covers.

However, if you are too lazy to go look, or just can't be bothered sliding your gaze to the side, the link is right here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PEWS8AS?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

I know, I am too soft.


No comments:

Post a Comment